If there ever was a need to explain the adage of Horses for Courses, the perfect example would be the right bike for the right conditions. I’m not referring to using a Road Bike on the trail, or Heaven forbid a Mountain Bike on the Road. We all know that the above is either unfeasible or just “not the done thing”.
Under a recent invitation to the Cape, I took a bike with to ride. Previously, I had only ever taken a Road Bike to the Cape. Not a bad judgment call in itself, since the Peninsula provides some of the most sublime road riding, but not this time. In no uncertain terms, I was told, this would be a Mountain Biking Trip. Good and well then. Deciding on the bike.
Much has been touted about the virtues of the 29r, and its ease and speed in comparison to the smaller wheeled 26r’s. Less so has been the critique of the 29r, the sheer bulk, and length, making tight single track and climbing challenging to say the least, not withstanding rider skill, in this case lack thereof. With the above predisposition in mind, I took the conscious choice to challenge the establishment and take the 29r to the Cape.
Our first ride was at the relatively easy flowing Tokai Forest. Being Cape Town, climbing is mandatory, and you look for the flats as opposed to the hills, the polar opposite of Gauteng. As I arrived at the ride, I noted the lack of 29r’s, instead…
The vast number of 26r Full Suspension Bikes. Not just ordinary Full Suspension machines either, 120mm Travel + Forks. There I was thinking, I’m a unique non-conformist, so I’m pretty chuffed with my 29r. Not so much after the first 800m of climbing. The lack of 29r’s became a little more logical to me. Let’s not discount, the fact the fact that the rider has not taken a serious ride since the sani2c, but the inability to climb was clear to see.
The second challenge to the 29r took place at the Velvanpas Estate. Technical riding was the order of the day. Once again, I discount my own technical shortcomings, but by no means am I totally green to the concept of tight single track. A really long wheelbase coupled with a 2x10 Gear-set made the trail one of the hardest I’ve ever ridden. The 29r just does not cope in tight single track. By their very nature, 29r’s are designed to complement the taller rider, as a taller rider, I’m on a XL sized frame. In car terms it’s like trying to put an S-Class Mercedes Benz on a Go Cart track. It just does not compute.
The 3rd test for the 29r took place at the relatively tame Jonkershoek trail. Loads of jeep track, and mild gradients made the 29r feel a little more at home. Not entirely. Thankfully this ride allowed me to rekindle the 29r love, and not burn the bike in a sacrifice to Table Mountain.
At this stage you must be thinking one of two things. He is a useless rider, which is not entirely incorrect, and 29rs are useless, which is only partially correct. Or a combination of both. The truth is, I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of the 29r whirlwind, and riding a 29r in various environments has helped me in debunking the 29r myths and 26r virtues. 29r’s are not designed for the Cape. 29r’s are designed for Gauteng. You can ride a 29r in the Cape or in Gauteng, it’s about rider skill, and that is the final word in the debate. It’s not always the tools at your disposal, but how well you make use of them. For mere mortals, extolling the virtues of a 29r in the Cape is much harder than it is in Gauteng!
The simple reality of it is. You take the right bike to the right ride. Iron Horses for Courses! What am I riding this weekend? The 29r of course. Back in Johannesburg. Seeking hills.
No comments:
Post a Comment